Saturday 26 April 2008

Exams

I almost freaked out when I saw her message book the other day. The note from the teacher stated that the exams will be held from 6 – 8 May. She’s taking 6 subjects : Bahasa Malaysia, English, Mandarin, Maths, Science and General Knowledge. Enclosed with the note is a stack of sample exam questions to guide the parents with the revision.

My first thought was to put her on a revision mode right away. But then I looked at the innocent face looking at me expectantly, waiting to see my reaction.

DD actually looked excited when she showed me the message book. Before letting my competitive nature rear its head, I decided to ask her how she felt about the exams. She nonchalantly said that she was not worried and proceeded to explain to me that the questions are going to be on the things covered in her books.

I decided then that I was not going to push my 5-year old to slog it out just yet. It is so easy to let my competitiveness rule and succumb to the pressure to compete with other parents. But I remind myself that though grades are important, it is more important for her to learn and actually enjoy the process of learning. Sure, the grades will be a reflection of the amount of learning that she’s done but they are not the only indicators. At this age, I feel that it is more important for her to develop other ‘skills’ such as interacting with other kids, sharing and developing her self-confident. Having said that, I do appreciate the teachers’ efforts on academic learning. It’s just that I don’t want her to feel that getting a string of As is all that matters.

She’s only 5 and all I want is for her to enjoy her childhood while developing a positive attitude towards learning.

9 comments:

Ibu WA Alim said...

Mace mano awak buleh mmike ggitu heh? Awok tok enjoy ko awok punyo childhood dulu? Actually, sayo pun tok force my DS belaja setakat ni, raso mace nok bia dio go on his mode, (betul ko term ni?) tapi raso keno monitor jugakla bilo dio grew older.
p/s : lps ni tok tau bilo pulok sayo buleh singah, tunggu comp sayo siap upgrade.

Ummu Auni said...

dah tgk jadual exam dah ke?
kita 2 minggu berturut

Yasmin's Mummy said...

ibu wa alim.. I enjoyed my childhood. But DD is too young to get pressured into studying for the exams. Gentle push boleh lah.

ummu auni.. yes. alhamdulillah this around the exam schedule is better.. ada breaks between the papers.

nida said...

Last year imran pun cam tula jugak. The term 'exam' tu rasanya besar sangat for kindergarden. His new kindergarden use 'assessment', x la parents stress sgt. Parents yang stress, anak2 ok jer...

Yasmin's Mummy said...

Nida.. betul, parents yg stress, anak ok je. My DH joked, general knowledge qn on US sub-prime problem ker?

nida said...

Hairan jugak ye why r we stress? Maybe dah lari dari 'niat' asal from just want the kids to develop social skill n confidence to excellent in academics...

Visit my blog: myhome-wish.blogspot.com

aida said...

aduh, aida pun tgh stress dpt memo semalam kat amni exam.. tapi bila dok pk, adui, ape la nak pening-pening.. let her enjoy her childhood first :)

Yasmin's Mummy said...

Nida.. sometimes we're overloaded with info, experience, etc, sampai tak tau what exactly that we want (in my case la).
Will visit your blog insyaAllah

Aida.. welcome to the group of stressed out moms :).

Mohammad said...

All the best Yasmin ;)