Wednesday 20 April 2005

Surgery Day Part II

Tuesday 5 April 2005

At 2.45 pm, Kak Bi got a phone call from Kak Nun. Tears started streaming down her cheeks as she listened to Kak Nun. I asked her what was wrong and in between her sobs, she told me that everything was okay. An OT nurse had told my siblings that the triple bypass surgery had completed and it went well. However, my Mother’s chest remained open for the time being as the doctors wanted to observe the heart working. The nurse is the sister-in-law of Abg. Mad’s boss and she had just completed her shift at 2 pm.

At around 3.30 pm, I got an sms from Kak Na, stating that Mother had been transferred to the Coronary Intensive Care Unit (CCU). My siblings were allowed to visit her right away, two at a time. Kak Jah and Kak Nun were the first to enter the CICU.

Later on Kak Na told me that just before 3.30pm, one staff opened the door between the OT and the CICU and with a huge smile, he asked, “ Siapa waris XXXXXXX?” My sisters jumped out of their seats and approached him. He proceeded to say, “ Sekarang boleh lawat di CICU, 2 orang pada satu masa.”

After receiving the news, Kak Bi and I rushed to the hospital to visit Mother. She was still unconscious under the anaesthetics. A pillow was already placed on her chest. Her hands, face and especially lips were swollen. She was on a respirator and there were wires stuck into her body for morphin, adrenalin, urine discharge, blood drainage etc. The respirator made a croaky sound each time air was breathed into her lungs. Overall, she didn’t look too bad.

We continued visiting Mother during the visiting hours between 5pm and 7pm. The nurses in the CICU were monitoring her progress constantly and they updated the chart on hourly basis. I saw from the chart that the first recording was done at 3.25 pm.

We were not allowed to visit anymore after the visiting hours. However, Kak Jah and Abg. Mad found a small tear on the window blinds and we could peep through the tear to see Mother. Trust my siblings to discover this kind of thing!

That night, Abg Mad, Kak Yah and I slept in the waiting rooms. A few times during the night, the guard called some relatives to see the patients immediately
.

2 comments:

Kak Teh said...

i hope she is okay now. sounds very much like what my siblings are up to! we planand organise everything around our mother.

5xmom.com said...

Hope you mother get well soon.