Tuesday 19 April 2005

Surgery Day Part I

Tuesday 5 April 2005

We all got ready early. Dr. Ziyadi told us that we could see Mother before the surgery and then accompany her to the door to the OT at around 8.30 am.

I arrived at the CCU with Kak Bi at around 7.15 am. Adik, Lin and Kak Yah arrived shortly after. Kak Jah, Abg. Mad, Kak Nun and Kak Bi were already there when we arrived. We took turns to sit with Mother in the CCU. I forgot that I was not supposed to touch Mother so I kissed her hands as usual when I met her.

According to Kak Nun, she and Kak Zan went to the CCU at 6am to give my Mother her bath. They found her sitting on her bed, wide awake. She asked why they were late. That is so typical of my Mother, to get ready well ahead of her appointments.

Kak Na and her DH, Abg Pin arrived from Jerteh at around 7.30 am. Kak Na has four small children so it was impossible for her to stay at the hospital like the rest of us.

Soon Dr. Aman arrived, followed by Dr. Ziyadi. Abg Mad and Kak Jah joined them in the CCU. Then the CCU staff got busy, retrieving a bed with trolleys from the store room and changing my Mother into a gown and a cap.

At around 8.40 am, Mother was wheeled out of the CCU by two staff. Kak Zan, Kak Nun and Kak Jah helped to push her bed. Adik was behind them with his digicam to record the event. I was slightly behind, walking with tears streaming down my cheeks every now and then. Abg Mad, Kak Bi, Kak Yah and Kak Na were behind me.

We arrived at the entrance to the OT and Mother was transferred onto another bed. An OT staff went through the form that Mother had signed the day before. She then asked whether we wanted to salam Mother, to which Kak Yah replied by shaking her head. She then asked our permission to take Mother to the OT, and then the nurses started pushing the bed.

The emotions of the event were too much for me to bear. I was so distraught so Kak Bi took me back to the guest room. It was around 9.15 am then.

The surgery was supposed to start at 10.30 am, after Mother had been anaesthetised. If all goes well, the surgery should take between four and five hours. At 10.30 am, Kak Bi and I went back to the hospital. Only Kak Jah, Kak Bi and myself stayed there as the rest of my siblings decided to go back to the guest room.

One OT staff emerged from the OT at around 11 am and told kak Jah that the surgery had started. He knows us personally as he used to work at the foundation for the disabled owned by Abg Mad’s boss.

The next three hours were spent waiting anxiously outside the OT. We tried to convince ourselves that the surgery was going well as Dr. Ziyadi had already advised us that we would only be informed if there were any complications.

The rest of my siblings arrived shortly after zohor. Kak Bi and I went back to the guest room at around 2.15 pm. We expected the surgery to finish by around 4pm to 5pm.

2 comments:

Ummu Auni said...

can't wait to read your story

p/s happy belated birthday to yasmin :). there's no birthday party this year, eh :)

Yasmin's Mummy said...

no, looks like no birthday party this year :(