Tuesday 25 January 2011

Weight Loss Program (seriously???)

I started watching The Biggest Loser show during the year end school holiday. I became hooked to the show for several reasons. Firstly, I think it's amazing that the contestants manage to lose a lot of weight during the duration of the show, and in the process transform their lives. Secondly, there's the drama. When you pit off a bunch of individuals against each other and at the same time put them through the grueling physical exercises, emotions are bound to run high. Some of them crack under the pressure of it all. Thirdly, although I'm not obese, I too share their desire to lose weight and have a healthier lifestyle.

As far as managing my weight issue is concerned, I've had several false starts, chiefly due to lack of will power. I came up with numerous reasons to not exercise. In the meantime, the waist continues to expand and the flabs become more prominent.

Watching The Biggest Loser, I become motivated to do something about my weight. A daily dose of the show serves as a constant reminder of my own weight issue (so TV is not that bad afterall, eh?). I pondered about it for days and weeks, and finally told DH unconvincingly that I wanted to start jogging.

Now, the problem was I didn't have enough track bottoms (there always are problems, aren't there?). So off we went to Jusco in Sunway Pyramid. The biggest size that they had was XL (are you kidding me? what about fat people like me?), and surprise surprise, it didn't fit me. I felt tears welling up in my eyes when the cold reality of my huge bottom sunk in.

The next day, I continued my search for the elusive XXL track bottom at Subang Parade, and thank God, I found them. So, I was ready to start exercising.

By then, the weather had become hot again after a brief spell of coolness akin Mediterranean weather, so my motivation to scale the outdoor plummeted. So for a week, I did nothing, except for wearing my new track bottom in the morning when I sent DD to school.

While the weather continued to be hot, I started thinking of an alternative plan. I rummaged through my old collection of DVDs and found 3 exercise DVDs. Now I can get started!

So, I officially began my weight loss program yesterday. I hopped on the scale and noted that my weight was 60kg. I think the scale underestimated my weight somewhat, but I gladly accept it. Afterall, I'll be using the same scale to weight myself throughout my weight loss program, so what if the reading is off by a kilo or two, right?

I plucked my Kathy Smith DVD from the shelf and put it in the DVD player. A reading flashed on the screen, "Not compatible". I replaced it with a Jane Fonda DVD, but again "Not compatible". Finally, I tried the Denise Austin DVD, and it worked.

I followed the 5 minutes warm up session. No big deal. And then it was back to the main menu, displaying a choice between cardio and strength. Now, I couldn't find the DVD player's remote control, and there's no button on the DVD player to move between the choices. And that was how I ended my exercise with Denise Austin yesterday.

Not one to give up so easily, I decided to follow the exercise steps in my Body Maintenance Manual book. It wasn't that strenuous so I managed to exercise in half an hour.

As for the meal, I think I ate well for the main meals yesterday. But I somewhat blew it with indulgences at tea time: I had 10 small pieces cekodok pisang (yummy) with with nescafe. And then after dinner I couldn't resist the Lay crisps that DH was munching, so I walloped a few.

DH atoned for his 'sin' of tempting me with the crisps by searching for the missing DVD player's remote control. He found it, so this morning I had a full cardio session with Denise Austin. It was tough. After 15 minutes of exercising, I started looking at the clock every 5 seconds. By the end of the exercise, I was sweating like a pig.

So, that's my weight loss journey so far. The real challenge is staying motivated throughout. I hope to see good results soon.

6 comments:

Ummu Auni said...

wah wah wah!
tak mahu beli wii ke macam aida?

Ibu WA Alim said...

The Biggest Loser tu dah lama tgk kat rumah ni..mmg kagumlah mrk blh turunkan byk kgs..tp masih dok beralasan mrk ada trainer dan diet program yg professional..pernah try buka website dia tp tak jumpa pulak..skrg ni The Biggest Loser Asia siri 2 dan 3 sdg berlangsung kan?

HAWe pun suruh Hky join prog tu (tak tau la olok2 ke betul2) tp tau2lah kan mcm mana dia org kena pakai dlm sessi latihan dan timbang2 tu..

Eh, T dah start, Hky pun nak start jugalah..blh kita lawan..dlm The Biggest Loser Ara (Ampang - Damansara)!!

Nida said...

Maksu, guess what?!! kita sama 'ringannnnnn'!!! Ida paling 'geram' tang perut, siap beli buku flat belly diet lagi.. 8 hari sempat exersize dlm cuaca yg sejuk n without worrying abt my aurat sbb dinding tinggi, mai hantam aje nak pakai apa cuma beli kasut sukan baru... Beli jer kasut sukan, terstop lak aktiviti sbb pi qatar visit BIL's family. Nak start balik bercintun pulak. Ni lak dah nak masuk 2 minggu anak2 bergilir demam n ida jadi stress n terus ngap choc4x yg ada!! stress jer makan..adoiii!!

In term of pemakanan, nak follow diet thru that book susahla sikit sbb diet style mat saleh, 4 days jer boleh tahan. Hari2 kena masak diff. menu, ida + hubby (hubby pon nak follow gak diet) + menu anak2. Pastu bila masak nasi lomak, cair lak hati, takkan nak tgk saja, taram jelah, heheh..pastu x larat calc. kalori...

Hcy..nok join jugok The Biggest Loser Aram (Ampang-Damansara-Dammam)..:)

Yasmin's Mummy said...

Ummu Auni: What on God's earth is a wii?

IWA: If you notice, even those who have been voted off continue to lose weight, so you can do it on your own at home. It won't be fair to me & Ida if we compete because you have a higher chance of winning :p, but let's compete anyway for the fun of it :)

Nida: Kalau dah stop, mmg susah nak start semula. And I can totally relate with the difficulty of fulfilling different calorie needs in the family. Susah nak masak satu hal, satu nak control terliur lagi satu hal.

qalamunir said...

Oo..setuju ye nak bersaing..ok..tp Hky blm mula apa2 lagi la..

Ida, Aram pun Aram lah..
And bakpo tok mari tgk jeng3x kat blog Hcy tu?

-Hky/Hcy

unie said...

maksu, wii tu sejenis console game. bestnya wii tu sbb x perlu controller. tp rasanya lagi best x-box kinect! lets buy one!