Friday 7 March 2008

I'm not voting ...

because:

1. DH can’t take leave.
2. Public transports are too inconvenient, or too expensive, or are sold out.
3. All parties are getting very aggressive in their campaigns, which is just way too much pressure for me. I can only imagine the kind of battles taking place in my homestate now.
4. I’m getting sick of the whole thing, or as DD pronounced it, “discested”. Usually I read everything reported in the newspapers (except for Sport section), but recently I developed a habit of skipping and skimming because some reports are just too ‘painful’ to read. Same goes for TV news. This morning I read The Star newspaper, and these are some of the remarks that caught my eyes:
- “If the Chinese did not have representation in the Cabinet, their requests would not be heard” (Abdullah Ahmad Badawi)
- “When the MCA lost its voice, the people felt it. I hope they will think very carefully. This is important in the interest of all races.” (Abdullah Ahmad Badawi)
- “We will give what the Malays want and will not reduce it. But we will not leave our Chinese and Indian friends in Barisan” (Abdullah Ahmad Badawi)
- “The MCA must win 30-something seats of the 40 parliamentary seats it is contesting for the party to have a strong voice for the community in the Barisan” (Ong Ka Ting)
- “Vote for own interest”, “Don’t harm your community’s interest by voting for the Opposition” (message from Wong Mook Leong, MCA central committee member, to the Chinese community)
- “MCA used to hold the Finance Ministry and International Trade and Industry posts. But it was all lost in the 1969 election and it’s now gone forever” (Wong Mook Leong)
- “The Chinese electorate should fortify the party’s strength in parliament so that the party can obtain more for the Chinese” (Chan Kong Choy)
- “All these years, be it in general elections or by-elections, Malay voters have learnt to expect something, goodies, promises of more goodies, and in many instances, cash” (Shamsul Akmar – in Comment section)
- “The middle-class Malays would never find any satisfaction from their achievements as they are forever being chided or questioned by their non-Malay friends for their privileges” (Shamsul Akmar)
- “Any further reduction of your support will erode our role within the Government. This is an honest appeal to you not to weaken the Chinese representation in the Government” (Ong Ka Ting)

That’s just from today’s The Star. I can’t quote the Opposition leaders as they are not getting much coverage, if any, from the papers.

Am I not being a responsible citizen when I decide to not vote? Well, I am exercising my right and have made my choice. Bring me candidates with more credibility, then I might be persuaded to vote.

p/s: You may want to bring an eraser to the polling station tomorrow.

I'm off to visit Khairy Jamaludin's website, http://www.rembau.net.my

11 comments:

Ummu Auni said...

eh, read malaysiakini! free until sunday :D

Ibu WA Alim said...

Does it mean that you'll leave your own country to be responsible by these incredibility peoples, just like you said? Sampai bila? Or you want to deny it..? Relaxla..jangan pening kepala..dan keliru!Ask Allah to show you the way..Mother pun said dia doa kat Allah agar bagi dia tenang..kes lain!

aida said...

as aini said, malaysiakini tgh free.. baca different views

malaysia today pun ok apa

Ummu Auni said...

wa CY, hangat! tapi agaknya tak bertukar tempat ngundi kut, tu mak su boring tu..

Ibu WA Alim said...

Showi..dont meant to hurt your hearts..adik manja..anak saudara manja..

Ibu WA Alim said...

Marah ke? Maybe the way I expressed my words tu wrong atau something wrong with the grammar.. Or you want to deny it..? tu tak sama kan dgn don't you want to deny it..? Salah lagi ke grammar ni..?

Yasmin's Mummy said...

Thx for all the comments. No I'm not angry. Only now I found the time to revisit my post :)
May be I'm in denial, I don't know. May be I'm a 'confused middle-class' (middle class ke aku ni?). Or may be I'm just a fence-sitter waiting to be wooed :)
Ibu WA Alim: apa 'kes lain' tu?

Yasmin's Mummy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ummu Auni said...

i agree with CY actually. tapi sebab rumah dekat, so okay je. tapi kan, kalau tempat mengundi jauh tu, entahlah

baca artikel sini (worth reading tau)
http://milofuze.blogspot.com/2008/02/being-working-mother-and-upcoming.html

Ummu Auni said...

okay this is the original url
http://thestar.com.my/lifestyle/story.asp?file=/2008/2/24/lifefocus/20418720&sec=lifefocus

Ibu WA Alim said...

2 hal sebnrnya :-
1/1st night yg dia pi tido umah u, esoknya kan dia cite kat u dia tblh tido dan u komen : sapa mcm tu sekali?
2/her rotation routine.