Friday 1 April 2005

Coronary bypass

My Mother had an angiogram done on Sunday, 27 March 2005. I was a little bit surprised that she decided to go through with it afterall, knowing how much she hates any kind of surgery, however minor though it seems. In fact, when I spoke to her on Saturday, she sounded very calm and confident. Perhaps my BIL, who had gone through the same procedure recently, managed to convince her that it is quite safe.

She was admitted to HUSM on Saturday. Some tests were done and the doctors decided to go ahead with the angiogram. On Sunday, she was wheeled to the theatre (or whatever it is called) at around 8.30 am and by 10 am, she was back in the ward. She was not allowed to move one leg for 6 hours because of the incision made in the thigh for the procedure. Apart from that, she felt fine. The procedure was not painful because of the anaesthetics. Overall, she was very happy and relieved because everything seemed to go smoothly. After fasting for about 10 hours, she was famished, so my sister fed her.

At around 4 pm, the angiogram experts visited her at the ward. That’s when they told her that unfortunately, angioplasty could not be performed because of severe blockages in the arteries. Overall, the blockages are more than 90%. They recommend that she has a bypass surgery as soon as possible.

The news was shocking to us, to say the least. We never thought beyond angioplasty. Certainly, bypass surgery never entered our minds. My Mother asked her children’s opinion on whether she should go ahead with the operation, but none of us knew what to think or say.


The next morning, the heart surgeon visited my Mother to explain to her about the procedure. Apparently, there is a long queue for the operation, and the earliest slot available is in November. However, at the angiogram doctors’ recommendation to perform the operation asap, the surgeon has moved my Mother’s operation to Monday, 4 April 2004.

I remember my Mother telling me about 4 weeks ago that she would prefer not to have an operation, because of her age. So I was surprised when I heard she opted for the operation.

We are worried, to say the least. We’ve heard good news of speedy recovery, but we’ve also heard of patients who never wake up or die soon after the operation.

I’m going back to Kelantan tomorrow. I hope God will give me the strength to be strong for my Mother.

2 comments:

Ummu Auni said...

yasmin's mummy, i'd been worried as you haven't updated your blog for quite a long time.

i believe right now that my father and you are both in kelantan taking care of her.

hope Mak is doing fine.

moga2 Allah merahmati kami...

i don't know maybe we don't want to let her go in any case, even at anytime. it might sounds selfish but she's the only grandparent left for me and the reason why i always anticipate to go back to kampung.

sometimes, we tend to forget that Allah owns everything (even us) and somehow i realise that we're sometimes too selfish for our own good.

Kak Teh said...

I hope everything went well. My doa's as always with you and yr mum.