Saturday 29 January 2005

Of Inappropriate Names

In case anyone thinks I’m narcissistic enough to talk about my name yet again in this blog, rest assured the subject matter has nothing to do with me. In fact, today I’m going to write about the street names in my neighbourhood. I know, I know, somehow that makes it seem like I’m writing about myself, but please allow me this indulgence.

I live in a neighbourhood called Taman Bunga Negara. What a nice name isn’t it, at times it sounds sweet and at other times it sounds patriotic, depending on which word catches your attention. I have nothing against this name though some people have confused it with Taman Bunga Raya, which is located in Rawang, I believe. What I find less likeable are the street names, most of which sound kind of funny and kinky. There’s Jalan Batang Kelang, Jalan Batu Condong, Jalan Batu Cincin, and the likes. Really, what is this obsession with batang and batu? Is it only me who has a perverse mind that these words when seen one after another at close intervals somehow remind me of certain parts of human anatomy?

I don’t know who is responsible for this atrocity, but whoever it is, he either has a wicked sense of humour or a sickness that results in creativity deficiency. I’m not a creative person either, and if it were up to me, I would go for more boring names like Jalan Anggerik, Jalan Bunga Raya, Jalan Mawar and the likes. After all, the whole neighbourhood is called Taman Bunga Negara and it is situated within Shah Alam Bandar Anggerik. Logical isn’t it?

Now to whom should I submit my proposal?

No comments: