Wednesday 19 January 2005

A New Life Begins…

Do you remember the first sight of the tiny body, the first sound of a cry, the first touch of soft skin? It has been almost two years, and yet the memory is still clear in my mind, as vivid as if it just happened yesterday.

I remember watching the doctor lift the baby. The baby was upside-down, held by the doctor on her tiny legs. From my position and without my glasses, I could not see the baby’s features and she looked just like a blob to me, without shapes or forms. I had a momentary fear but was soon comforted when I could see her limbs clearer. The doctor gave her a gentle slap on the back and soon the baby’s first cry filled the room.

Two nurses took the baby to a counter about 3 feet to my left. My DH followed and watched them clean up the baby, weigh her and bundle her in a pink blanket. My DH said to me, “She’s beautiful, Sayang. She’s beautiful, Sayang.” His voice was full of emotions.

Soon the baby was placed in my arms. I looked down on her and she gazed right back at me. Her eyes were as huge as saucers. She had a surprised look on her face, as if she was in awe of her new world. My DH stood at my left. He touched the baby and started the ‘iqamat’.

Later my DH followed the baby to the nursery. I was groggy and sleepy from the pethadine, but even then I realised that what I had just went through was simply magical. A new life has begun, and so has mine…

7 comments:

aida said...

Uh oww... I am feeling soppy here [penangan hindustan lah ni senang sangat nak nangis]

Ummu Auni said...

the waiting time before you concieve make it more precious :)

"before you were concieved, i want you
before you were born, i love you with all my heart
moments before you were born, i would die for you
that's the miracle of love"

p/s balik kampung bila?

Yasmin's Mummy said...

aida: it's alright to feel soppy even without hindustan movies :)
mardhiah12: balik esok

Bustaman said...

Aaaaah..the joy of parenthood!

Anonymous said...

hi yasmin's mummy,
me too enjoyed the 'indescriable' feeling being a mom about 5 months back :) such a wonderful and amazing experience delivering my precious alif firdaus to this world.
p/s: keep on writing
-alif's mommy-

Anonymous said...

hi yasmin's mummy,
me too enjoyed the 'indescriable' feeling being a mom about 5 months back :) such a wonderful and amazing experience delivering my precious alif firdaus to this world.
p/s: keep on writing
-alif's mommy-

Anonymous said...

hi yasmin's mummy,
me too enjoyed the 'indescriable' feeling being a mom about 5 months back :) such a wonderful and amazing experience delivering my precious alif firdaus to this world.
p/s: keep on writing
-alif's mommy-