Tuesday 4 January 2011

On the Path To Independence

DD is in Year 2 this year. Registration was held last Friday. I was out of town, so DH had to handle it. The registration process was simple and fast. Just pay school fee (RM50) and PIBG fee (RM50) and you're done.

I packed DD's school bag on Sunday. Oh, it was so heavy. Later on DD and I went through the contents of the bag together, so that she would know what I had packed for her.

Yesterday DH and I sent her to school. The scenario was different from last year. No more tears. DH and I stayed for a while to buy some books from the bookshop, and then we left. When I arrived at the school to pick her up in the afternoon, she was already standing near the school gate, waiting for me.

This morning I went to the Bilik Buku Teks (Text Book Room) and collected the Bahasa Malaysia Activity Book that DD didn't get earlier. Now that her book list is complete, I can have a peaceful mind.

Upon reflection on DD's first year of primary school, I realised that the general theme last year was 'Flexibility'. I felt sorry that she had to rush from one school to another (sekolah kebangsaan in the morning and sekolah agama in the afternoon), so I gave her some leeway. I let her complete her tasks in own sweet time. When she got tired, I let her skip her tasks (eg recital of the Qur'an, piano practice). In short, she didn't really have a fixed schedule, apart from attending school.

This year, I've decided to change the theme to 'Discipline'. Whereas last year the maid and I helped her a lot, this year she would have to take more responsibility for herself. This would cover areas such as:
1. Getting ready for sekolah kebangsaan and KAFA
2. Eating meals (last year she ate on the sofa in front of the TV most of the time. This year she should join us at the dinner table)
3. Packing her school bag
4. Following a more strict schedule - no more skipping on Qur'an recital and piano practice
5. Doing revision

I must thank her KAFA principal for making me realise that I was too soft on her. In his speech during the prize presentation ceremony last year, he stressed upon us the importance of instilling discipline in our children. He said attending sekolah kebangsaan is not an excuse for slacking at KAFA (ouchh! I guess many parents are guilty of this offence). He added that we should push our children so that they will excel.

Looking at DD now, I realise that she can do more than I give her credit for. She's grown so much from last year.

Welcome 2011. We're ready.

8 comments:

Ummu Auni said...

kita kesian kat budak. semalam auni balik pun malam. kesian dia. but i just read outliers, hard work means more success? betul ke?

qalamunir said...

No 1, 2 & 3 Alim dah kira blhlah.. tp no. 4 & 5 tu nak kena stressed lbh lagi..
Kami pun dpt input baru juga masa pi majlis penyampaian hadiah Sek Kafa-I dia..'anak2 mula menunjukkan tingkahlaku berbeza bila naik ke thp 2'..
Selamat maju jaya utk anak2 kita dan kita juga..
-Hky

Yasmin's Mummy said...

UAA: 'Kesian' was my favourite word last year. Mmg kesian, sbb at Y1 our kids are still adjusting to full day school. Betul lah, usaha itu tangga kejayaan. Tapi apa2 pun, biarlah seimbang. Jgn sampai 'mendera' anak pula. Alam persekolahan umpama acara marathon, bukan pecut. Jadi kita kena set long term objective dan pastikan anak2 kita boleh sustain to last the race.

HKY: Alhamdulillah Alim dah berdikari. Tahun ini boleh cuba improve dlm hal lain pula. Yg penting mesti ada peningkatan setiap tahun.

Ibu WA Alim said...

Hky rasa awak terror juga bab2 pendidikan anak-anak ni wp awak bkn dr line education..?

Jgn2 awak pun terror dlm motivasi keibubapaan..?

Sungguh ni..bkn usik2..

Ibu WA Alim said...

Oh ya! Alim dah dpt text books dia 10 buah on the 1st day tu..tinggal lagi 3 buah blm dpt..

Sbnrnya dlm 2, 3 hari ni 'kesian dia' tu lah yg dok keluar dr mulut Hky melihat kpd perubahan jadual Alim lantaran perubahan thp dr 1 ke 2..sek keb ke sessi pagi, sek Kafa-I ke sessi ptg..Alim kena bgn seawal 5.30 pagi dan rushing d tgh hari nak ke Kafa-I pula..berbanding masa d thp 1 jadual rasa lbh relax..

Tp dgr kata2 Aini 'hardwork mean more success' tu..rasa aman jugalah jiwa..

ibu auni said...

ya, CY. kalau ikut teori gladwell dalam buku outliers, 10,000 hours needed to be a master, which is so bill gates, beatles etc etc. kesian tu memanglah kesian tgk auni

Yasmin's Mummy said...

IWA: Woww bangun seawal 5.30 pagi.. kenapa awal sangat? Tidur pukul berapa pula? Pasal rush waktu tengahari tu, rasanya mmg tak boleh dielak. Gap between sekolah pagi dan KAFA sekejap sangat.. ada budak tak sempat mandi pun.

Ibu WA Alim said...

Bas dtg seawal 6.20 dan dia ni tak berapa reti rushing. Kita suruh tidur dlm 10.30 wp adakala dia dok cari alasan taknak tido lagi.

Minggu lps rushing d tgh hari sbb 1st week punya adjustment. Sessi tamat 12.50 dan sampai rumah 5-10 min sblm 2.00 dan van ambil 2.20.

Minggu ni sek habis 1.20, sampai rumah dekat 2.00 juga.. sampai tak berapa sempat mkn tgh hari..pagi pun tak berapa sempat sarapan..