Monday 17 March 2008

The New Semester

The new semester has begun and my first class will commence this evening. I've registered for 4 courses for this semester:
1. Quantitative Decision Making (QDM)
2. Managerial Finance (MF)
3. Operational Management (OM)
4. Management Policy & Corporate Strategy (MPCS)

As expected, I haven't prepared myself for the new semester. In fact, I only have somewhat vague ideas about the courses that I'm taking. Based on these vague ideas, I think I'm going to love MF. As for the other 3 courses, I'm already feeling some sort of trepidation for several reasons:

1. QDM - the course title sounds interesting but some people say this is just a pseudo name for Statistics. If they are right, I'm going to need lots of coffee on Monday evenings to last me till 10.00 pm.

2. OM - I took a similar sounding course back in my undergraduate days some 14 years ago. The course title was Operational Research & Management (ORM). I don't remember much about the course. What I do remember is that we all suffered through it and some students left the final exam hall without attempting the questions. In fact just a mere mention of ORM was enough to cause heart beats to pound heavily and gallop..

3. MPCS - the title is a mouthful and I never have a good first impression about courses with long titles. Beyond that, I have a feeling that this course requires a lot of reading. As some people are prone to say, you'd better boil the book and drink the water that's used to boil it with. In one of my previous posts, I said that I loved to read, but some text books really escape my attention. One case in point is last semester's Marketing Management textbook. This book is guaranteed to cure my insomnia which is very well when my intention is to get some sleep, but not when I'm trying to prepare myself for the exams.

Initial presumptions aside, I'm hoping for some surprises. I remember having some apprehensions about the Managing Corporate Resources course last semester, but in the end it turned out to be an enjoyable course. The lecturer was good (though unconventional for a Malaysian), the book did not cure my insomnia (which is a good thing) and the course handouts were excellent.

Obviously some adjustments to my schedule will be required. I'l try to update this blog if time permits.

6 comments:

Ibu WA Alim said...

Selamat berbuka semester utk 22 students, dan selamat bergelut dgn jadual class, assignments, study group, books etc. Ba'pa 22 org baju merah dok nnengung tuh?

Ummu Auni said...

QDM - i always love statistics, tapi geram dgn dato jamil. tips, write a lot to score A even though you maybe repeating the same thing over & over again. dato jamil's marking timbang kati, dia tengok sapa suka tulis panjang-panjang

OM - i like OM under dr rafikul. never had a taste of it during degree, but dr rafikul is quite okay. the most enjoyable part, calculation! dr rafikul is quite lenient

MPCS - boring la if under dr ismail. ngantuk dan segalanya. mmg dari degree tak best langsung. lots of case study.

MF - dr kameel! solely calculation, no need textbook, just attempt all questions in the course packet.

aida said...

amboi, aini dah bagi tips nak score exam dah tu.. hahaha

Yasmin's Mummy said...

ibu wa alim - 2 org tu termenung tunggu roti canai.

mardhiah12 - thanks for the tips. I have a different lecturer for MPCS - Prof Mohd Suleiman. Aiyyo I hate case studies..

aida - sekarang ni aim nak lepas je. (and also to learn :) )

Ummu Auni said...

nak datang pukul berapa? pagi, petang, malam? datang lunch pun boleh, saya masak...

Ibu WA Alim said...

Ee..bestnya nak makan yg Aini masak..!