Tuesday 28 December 2004

Rambut sama hitam tapi hati lain-lain

In this age of globalisation and cosmetics, this adage is not entirely true anymore, I guess. Firstly, hair colour comes in different shades of black, brown, blonde, auburn etc., depending on your genes. And secondly, cosmetics like those from Wella, L’Oreal, Garnier, etc. could easily help you achieve your desired hair colour if you detest the ones imprinted by your genes.

I’m not sure of the exact translation of the above phrase. Loosely, it means that though we have the same hair colour, our hearts may be different. Err, is that an example of bad translation or what?

Anyway, let’s move to the subject matter at hand. My sister, Kak Ze, accompanied me to a recent Revlon warehouse sale and bought 2 packets of hair dyes. I raised an eyebrow when I saw her purchases. She explained that another sister, Kak Nun, had her hair dyed recently. I saw Kak Nun a few days before but I didn’t notice her new hair colour.

Kak Ze went on to explain that at the school where she teaches, the pupils are not allowed to dye their hair. One girl was spared though. All because her hair looks oh so natural (and a pretty sight too). You may mistake the highlights for the sun shining down on her, Kak Ze added.

By now, as far as I know, 2 of my 6 sisters have had their hair dyed. And the inner voice within me is urging me to follow suit. In fact, I have wanted to colour my hair ever since my student days in London. Not because of the influence of budaya kuning, mind you. Back then, I liked to experiment on the various skin care and beauty products that were sold at reasonable prices at Boots. Once, I borrowed my friend’s rollers. I turned out looking exactly like Kak Ze who has very curly hair. It was weird, considering nobody ever said that I look like Kak Ze. Your hair style could really change your appearance, I guess.

Back then, my sisters wrote to me regularly. In one of her aerograms, Kak Nun reminded me not to dye my hair blond or marry a mat salleh. My sisters were concerned that I could get culture shocks or influenced by budaya kuning. So I restrained myself and never gave the hair dyes a second look during my numerous visits to Boots.

After I married my DH, I occasionally mentioned to him that I wanted to get my hair dyed. He was not supportive of the idea, saying that it was pointless, considering that I wear tudung (head cover). A practical person, DH seldom sees the point of doing something purely for its aesthetic value. So the red haired girl within me just lied beneath the surface.

Until now, that is. Hmm.. should I make a quick trip to Guardian to buy a DIY kit, or should I go to a professional? But what if my DD doesn’t recognise me? Guess I’ll sleep on this for a few nights and see whether the urge remains as strong then.

No comments: