Monday 20 December 2004

The birth of a blog

I came across the world of blogging a couple of years ago while researching the net for work materials. Since then, I have visited a few interesting blogs and became some sort of a silent participant in the blog-world. Finally, after stumbling upon my twin nieces’ blogs, I decided to start one of my own.

Given that I’m handicapped in both English and Malay (and I don’t speak or understand any other language either, apart from perhaps a maximum of 10 Arabic words and 2 Hindustani), I am forced to use both languages intermittently to express my thoughts (or lack of it). And given that I’m also handicapped in the perseverance and discipline department, let’s see how long I can keep this blog up. So much for an aspiring writer, eh?

Last Friday, the day that I discovered my nieces’ blogs, words and sentences for my very own blog started floating in my mind. After work, I went home in such excitement to share this brilliant idea with my Dearest Husband (DH). Snippet of my conversation with him went more or less like this:

Me: Sayang (love), I want to start my own blog.

DH: Huh? What’s that?

Me: Web log (err readers, I’m right, am I?). Where you write your online diary or something like that.

DH: Does it in any way make profit?

Me: No.

DH: Then what’s the point?

Me: (Defiant) Well, it’s a hobby.

DH went quiet. End of conversation for him. Well, I wasn’t quite finished.

Me: When you watch football, do you make any profit?

DH: No. So?

Me: Well, football is your hobby. Although you don’t make any money, you spend (read: waste) much time on it anyway because it’s your hobby. It’s the same with blogging. It’s my hobby.

DH went quiet again. After 6 years of marriage, he knew better than to argue with me, especially on issues which wouldn’t really affect him.

Meanwhile, my 20 months-old Dearest Daughter (DD), who had been playing quietly in the background all this while decided she didn’t want to be left out of the conversation: “Mummy, poo poo,” while pointing at her bum.

Not wanting to gross out the readers with what transpired from there on, I shall end my post here.

No comments: